Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Quotes II

Rati Sivashankar

Assignment II Quotes – 2


Pg. 153

Quote 3:
Hence there are two tendencies: one is the extension of consciousness by activities performed on the environment, the other is for the perfecting and enrichment of those powers already formed. These show us that the period from three to six is one of “constructive perfectionment” by means of activity.

Example 3:

I have noticed very often when some days in school the children’s work period is interrupted by some well intentioned activities….almost always most of them will ask. ”When can we go back to work?” or “Will we go back to work soon?” These show us the incessant need the child has to be immersed in work until he perfects it and aids in his own development.


Pg. 190

Quote 4:

At this time (3 – 6) no one can “teach” the qualities of which character is composed. The only thing we can do is to put education on a scientific footing, so that children can work effectively without being disturbed or impeded.

Example 4:

I am not sure if this example is directly connected to the quote…..but I shall give it anyway…I was once at a birthday party of a friend of my daughter. They were all classmates at our school. It was held at one of these huge places where there are multiple parties on simultaneously. I was standing at a vantage point where I could see three separate rooms with children in each participating in a celebration. I saw that the group where the Montessori school children were there, it was peaceful, order reigned, and….they waited for someone to say the greeting before they started eating!! I will not elaborate the behavior of the other groups of children!

No comments: